Concession Manager – Forest Preserve District of Cook County
Forest Preserve District of Cook County
Posted: July 21, 2014
Under general supervision of the Director of Permits, Volunteer Resources and Concessions, is directly responsible for recruitment, contract negotiations and overall management of District concession operations. Writes requests for proposals (RFP) and requests for qualifications (RFQ) as a way of recruiting concessionaires in addition to establishing agreements with local vendors to increase revenue generation. Strengthens concessions across the District to include coordination with special events, scheduling, cash controls, compliance with alcohol service polices, safety, and guest services. Provides high level of event oversight, technical proficiency and operational/personnel support to ensure the smooth running of assigned concession operations. Actively manages existing contracted vendors to ensure full compliance with all contractual obligations in the operation of the District’s ten (10) golf courses and four (4) driving ranges. Monitors the Oak Park Tennis Club, three (3) boat concessionaires, one (1) kayak concessionaire, Glen Grove Equestrian Stable, three (3) Aquatic Center food vendors, and ice cream vendors to ensure contract compliance.
* Develops and monitors a concession management business model and implements the vision for District concessions reflecting the business model and key values of the District.
* Assesses and analyzes the District’s needs for concession operations by surveying, interviewing and communicating regularly with other managers to identify District needs.
* Assesses and analyzes the needs of potential concessionaires to include various types of concession operations including, but not limited to, food, outdoor recreation, programming, and retail.
* Develops wide range of concessionaire opportunities that match District needs to available resources.
* Supports Special Event activities with food concessionaires as needed.
* Coordinates marketing, communications with other county/city agencies, logistics, supply and equipment needs, staffing and technical information pertaining to concession operations.
* Performs agency liaison functions and conducts coordinating meetings which include vendors, the public, and other county/city agencies.
* Supports and chairs various committes, or subcommittees, as assigned.
* Determines work priorities, and develops work schedules to provide adequate staff coverage.
* Maintains and expands database records including concessionaire files and mailing lists of vendors, press and technical expertise.
* Represents District interests and facilitates the interaction of all keystakeholders engaged in the planning and execution of concessions management.
* Educates vendors on District requirements, licenses, insurance and permits as well as providing advice to new participants.
* Reviews contracts and other legal documentation to ensure that program activities comply with local, state and federal regulations.
* Oversees the preparation of budgets, purchases and other expenditures related to concession management.
* Plans and prepares calendar for long-range activities and events.
* Formulates and assembles information about concessionaires for dissemination.
* Represents the District at civic and community affairs. Works closely with other District Departments on various programs and projects.
* Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
* Must possess a bachelor’s degree or higher in Public Administration, Hospitality Management, Retail Management, Marketing, Business Administration or substantially similar area from an accredited college or university.
* Must possess five (5) or more years of full-time work experience in concession management.
* Must possess three (3) or more years of full-time work experience in a supervisory capacity.
* Must possess a current valid driver’s license.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Other Characteristics
* Ability to plan assigns coordinates and directs the work of employees, volunteers and other participants.
* General knowledge and basic understanding of government procedures, current issues and public resources.
* Familiarity with inventory cost control and menu planning.
* Experience with profit and loss management.
* Excellent client and customer service skills.
* Proficiency in computer applications including MS Office, point-of-sale systems, time and attendance systems.
* Ability to communicate with employees, vendors, client representatives and guests in a positive and professional manner.
* Ability to work well under pressure with minimal supervision.
* Exceptional problem-solving, analytical, decision-making and excellent interpersonal skills.
* Strong written and verbal communication in addition to organizational skills and professional presentation.
* Ability to work a variable schedule and manage effectively in a diverse, fast-paced environment with a focus on delivering the highest level of customer satisfaction essential.
* Ability to work a variable event-driven schedule which includes evenings and weekends.
The duties listed are not set forth for purposes of limiting the assignment of work. They are not to be construed as a complete list of the many duties normally to be performed under a job title or those to be performed temporarily outside an employee’s normal line of work.
General District Employment Requirements
* PROOF OF EDUCATION, CERTIFICATIONS AND LICENSES WILL BE REQUIRED AT TIME OF INTERVIEW.
* MUST BE A RESIDENT OF COOK COUNTY OR ESTABLISH RESIDENCY IN COOK COUNTY WITHIN SIX (6) MONTHS OF EMPLOYMENT AND REMAIN A RESIDENT AT ALL TIMES DURING EMPLOYMENT WITH THE DISTRICT.
The Forest Preserve District of Cook County is an equal opportunity employer and ensures against discrimination in employment on the basis of a person’s race, color, sex, age, religion, disability, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, military discharge status, source of income, housing status, or gender identity.
Follow this link: https://cookcountyil.taleo.net/careersection/400/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en